Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Next Thing: Phablets

Last time I was in Seoul I was surprised to see almost everybody use a double sized smart phone, a mix between a phone and a tablet, in short a Phablet. I made the same observation in Tokyo where I was two weeks ago. Obviously smartphones are going against one of the long-held rules in portable electronics, that smaller is better. At least in Korea and Japan which are trendsetting markets. Samsung Electronics, Sony and the Chinese manufacturer Huawei are all betting that consumers find images and video to be more vivid and engaging on a bigger screen, and that they may prefer to carry a larger phone instead of both a smartphone and a tablet. I'm afraid that Apple has once again shown that it has lost market leadership. The new iPhone 5 is smaller than all former models. A hard sell in the Far East.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment